In South Florida, especially in the summer, the mosquito can wreak havoc on the population.
Mosquitos reproduce by laying their eggs in stagnant water, which makes the Everglades a perfect breeding ground for them.
To make matters worse, they go beyond just being annoying. The relative of the fly can transmit certain viruses including yellow/jungle/dengue fever and malaria.
Here is how to make a Homemade Mosquito Trap:
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 gram of yeast
1 2-liter bottle
1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.
2. Mix brown sugar with hot water. Let cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.
3. Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
4. Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.
5. Wrap the bottle with something black, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (Mosquitoes are also drawn to the color black.)
Change the solution every 2 weeks for continuous control.
This is just one method you can use for combatting mosquitos. Having bug repellent on hand is always useful also.
Too lazy or don’t have the time to make a homemade mosquito trap? You can always buy the Flowtron 80-Watt Electronic Insect Killer from Amazon for about $65, which will obliterate every mosquito within an acre of you.
See Also: How To: Make Natural Pesticide Spray
More from my site